Owensboro Kentucky History
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Owensboro Distilling Company, the world's first distilled whisky distillery. Today, as many whisky lovers make their way east for the annual Kentucky Bourbon Festival and Kentucky State Fair, this Owensborough distillery is a great place to visit. It is the westernmost point on the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky and welcomes visitors from all over the world.
In summer, Owensboro is the venue for the Kentucky State Fair and the annual Kentucky Bourbon Festival. Owensborough is also home to the Temple of Adath Israel, one of the oldest synagogues in the United States. The team was named after the University of Kentucky basketball team, which existed until 1940.
When the secessionists moved to Owensboro in September of that year, President Lincoln sent two gunboats, the Lexington and the Conestoga, to protect it. He was an officer who served in the US Army in Indiana during the Civil War under General W.H. Harrison as a member of the 1st Infantry Division. Later, the name was changed to "Owensboro" in honor of William E. Owens, a former Kentucky senator and governor.
The Buffalo Trail ran north from what is now downtown Owensboro and was paved and paved in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, according to Kentucky State Archives.
It would have been part of a larger path that led to a river called the Yellow Shore in what is now Owensboro. The route led via Rough Creek, near present-day Hartford, to the Ohio River and from there along the river to its confluence with the Kentucky River.
According to the University of Kentucky's Department of Geography, the Buffalo Trail was one of the first primitive roads to wind through the wilderness in Kentucky, prompting settlers to build huts and businesses along its busy stretch. Twice a week, residents of the settlement heard the trumpets of the stage along Hardinsburg Road, now called US 60, and ran to a tavern owned by postmaster William Bristow. The old Owensboro waterfront, which was located near the historic Buffalo Road markings from the pre-Smothers Park era, has been moved to Ryan Sculpture Park to further honor the former buffalo paths. If you're on the Buffalo Trail, which runs through downtown Owensborough, you can do just that.
The settlement was originally known as the Yellow Shores, after the color of the land along the Ohio River. Today, it is known as Frederica Street, possibly named for its proximity to the river and derived from one of Owensboro's most famous street names, Frederica Street.
The Buffalo Trail, also known as the "Trace," began when buffalo gathered along the Ohio River in the 1850s and lived west of the Mississippi. Frederica Street was the site of one of Owensboro's most famous buffalo trails when Bill Smeathers settled here.
When the news of Fort Sumter reached Owensboro in April 1861, the condolences were divided among the people. In early 2007, however, WFIE-TV opened an office to report news on the Kentucky side of the market.
The site serves as a resource for locating Kentucky genealogical and historical information, including the Kentucky Land Acquisition Database of the Kentucky Historical Society, and provides research on land acquisition in Kentucky. The Kentucky Historical Society also houses a Kentucky cemetery, where more than 150,000 names are rewritten.
The collection includes records from the Kentucky State Archives, the State Library of Kentucky and the National Archives and Records Administration. These records include records of state and local governments and records for the United States Department of Justice.
There are pages that relate to Daviess County, Kentucky, including historical, family and biographical information. Here you can see 17 different historical maps from 1817 to 1927, showing the history of the county and its history, including the history of the Civil War. This detailed 870-page story from 1883 had a significant impact on the state of Kentucky and the local community of Owensboro, KY.
The Martin F. Schmidt Research Library offers genealogists and local historians many resources, including printed biographies and family histories. The Special Collections Research Center contains materials on the history of Owensboro, Kentucky, and its history, as well as other parts of the state of Kentucky. Our Special Collections section holds other materials on Kentucky history, such as historical maps, maps and other historical documents.
The Kentucky Library's research collections contain materials related to Owensboro, Kentucky, and its history, as well as other parts of the state of Kentucky. The Kentucky Historical Society's Special Collections Research Center contains a wide range of materials on the history and culture of Owensborough, Ky., and related topics.